VLC media player is a free, open source software, designed to play videos and audio files. It supports a wide range of formats, including MPEG4, DivX, and WAV files.
- VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols.
- VLC Media Player is a free multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It's very simple, fast, powerful and completely FREE - no spyware, no ads and no user tracking. VLC plays everything - Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams.
- VLC media player is a portable, free and open-source, cross-platform media player and streaming media server written by the VideoLAN project. VLC is available for all operating system, desktop.
- VLC for Windows VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
Download official VLC media player for Windows - VideoLAN VLC for Windows VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. Download VLC Version 3.0.16. Windows. 38 MB Windows requirements. Download VLC, the popular open source media player, 100% free. Plays all video and audio formats and is Compatible with all major platforms.
VLC Media Player, a freeware that enjoys tons of cross-platform functions and features, has gained a great reputation in the video editing software market. However, you may come across the problem of cutting a video with VLC. How to trim or cut the unwanted part of a video when using this versatile tool?
In this post, methods of cutting a video on Windows or Mac computers as well as 2 recommended powerful VLC alternatives to cut or trim videos will be covered. Read this post and learn more about it.
Main Content on this Page
Part 1. Introduction to VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player, also known as VLC, is a simple and powerful cross-platform multimedia player and framework. This software is a completely free and open-source tool that enables you to play most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. In addition, it has many editing functions. You can cut or crop your video, reverse video or perform other editing operations. You are allowed to screenshot when using this app. This tool is compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux as well as Android and iOS.
Part 2. How to Trim a Video Using VLC on Windows
If you do not know how to trim or cut a video using VLC on your Windows computer. Here I will show you step by step tutorials.
Step 1. Download and install VLC. Then launch it.
Step 2. Drag and drop the targeted video into VLC.
Step 3. Start playing your video till the beginning of the part you want to keep.
Step 4. Go to 'View > Advanced Controls'. Roll down the 'Playback Menu' and click to select 'Record'. (This function is similar to 'cut/trim' and works well. )
Step 5. Restart playing the video and stop it at the part that you want to end this video by clicking the red button at the left-bottom of this tool. Then your new edited video will be saved on your disk.
Part 3. How to Cut a Video Using VLC on Mac
Mac users may wonder if there are differences when cutting a video with VLC on macOS computers. In fact, the distinction is little. But someone may find it hard to locate the saved video on Mac. Because of this, I suggest you set the default directory location before trimming videos on Mac with VLC.
Here I will show you the detailed steps to trim or cut a video with VLC on Mac computers. Before editing, please install VLC and launch it.
Step 1. Set the default directory location where you want to save the edited video by navigating to 'VLC Preferences > Input / Codecs > Record directory'.
Step 2. Go to 'View > Advanced Controls > Playback Menu' and click to select 'Record'. (This function is similar to 'cut/trim' and works well. )
Step 3. Restart VLC and play the imported video, stop it till reaching the part you want to keep by clicking the red button.
Step 4. Find your cut video in your record directory that you have set in Step 1.
Part 3. How to Cut a Video with VLC Alternatives
Some people may ask if there is an alternative to VLC Media Player to cut or trim video more efficiently. Here I will recommend 2 powerful all-in-one video editors for Windows and Mac users.
1. EaseUS Video Editor
Applies to: Windows 10/8.1/8/7
This freeware allows you to edit video with numerous features. It enables you to merge videos, split videos, trim, cut and crop video clips. You can add cool effects to video like transitions, background music and overlay. After editing, you can save the video on your computer or share it on your social platforms.
This app is free to download. Now click the following button to get this amazing video cutter!
Here are the steps to cut video with EaseUS Video Editor:
Step 1. Import the source file
Vlc Dvd Player Software Free
Launch EaseUS Video Editor. On the home screen, you can import the source file by either clicking the 'Import' option or simply dragging the video to the appropriate area.
Vcd Cutter Free
Step 2. Add to project
Vlc Media File Cutter Free Download Windows 7
You need to add the imported file to the track by choosing the 'Add to Project' option, or you can drag and place the video to the track as you want.
Step 3. Split or cut the video
Move the starting point and click split to cut the file.
Step 4. Export the source file
Now you can click 'Export' on the main menu on the top.
Applies to: Mac
QuickTime video application is built into most Mac computers. It is a free app that allows you to edit videos on Mac computers easily. You can trim, rotate, flip, cut, copy, paste, and delete video files. After editing the video, you can save it with a customizable name. Also, if you want to trim mp3, this app also supports to finish this task.
Here are the steps to cut video with QuickTime:
Step 1. In the QuickTime Player app on your Mac, open the video you want to split into clips, then choose 'View > Show Clips'.
Step 2. Move the playhead (the red vertical line) to the place where you want to cut, then choose 'Edit > Split Clip'.
Step 3. When you have finished, click 'Done'.
To sum up, methods to trim and cut videos using VLC Media Player on Windows and Mac are covered in this post. In addition, we have introduced you to 2 alternatives video trimmers and cutters to help you cut and trim videos on Windows and on Mac. For Windows users, we highly recommend EaseUS Video Editor as the best video trimmer. You can download this amazing video cutting tool to have a try!
Sometimes, you may need VLC alternatives because of the annoying 'Rebuilding Font Cache' thing or others. This post lists different VLC alternatives for Windows/Mac. Choose the best VLC alternative 2019 depends on your actual situation.
Have you ever used VLC media player? This post is going to show you some excellent VLC alternatives for Windows/Linux/Mac. You can find a suitable VLC alternative 2019 to play video and audio files.
VLC is a free, open-source, portable, and cross-platform media player and streaming media server developed by the VideoLAN project. It is able to play incomplete, unfinished or damaged video, but it will drive you crazy sometimes.
For example, here is a true story.
I have been using VLC media player for a while and was pleased with it. Then I get a notice about an update, which I did. Now all I get is green lines over the movie. I have tried everything to solve the problem, installing the backup, uninstall and install, with no success. Everything worked great until this update. Does anybody have a solution to this? It is driving me crazy. Please help. Thank you.
In general, a VLC alternative can solve this problem easily. The below are some common problems you might encounter when using the VLC media player.
4 Reasons Why You Need a VLC Alternative
1. VLC is unable to play broken files.
Generally, VLC media player can play unfinished or damaged video. But, sometimes, it cannot play video file and tells you that the file is damaged. Actually, this file is just being downloaded.
2. VLC doesn’t support a few codes and file types.
VLC supports a lot of video and audio codes and formats, but it requires codec settings for a few formats. For many common people, it is a difficult job.
3. VLC crashes without warning.
Sometimes, VLC media player suddenly crashes when you watch some normal files, try to insert subtitle or make it full screen.
4. VLC media player will damage the speakers!
If you are using VLC media player and keep the volume loud for a long time, your speakers could be damaged. Sadly, some manufacturers like Dell say replacing the speakers will not be covered by the hardware warranty. Therefore, please keep the volume down while using VLC.
Now, it is time to look for VLC alternatives to play your video or audio files. No matter you have come across these problems or not, it is a good idea to prepare a suitable alternative to VLC.
You will find many people are searching for VLC alternatives on the Internet. Here, we list different alternatives to VLC media player for Windows/Mac/Linux. Read on and find out which one suits you best.
Part 1. VLC Alternatives 2019 for Windows
VLC is a free video editing software, you might need to look for a VLC alternative because of the unfriendly UI, “Rebuilding Font Cache” thing and other problems. Now, try the following alternatives to VLC media player for Windows.
No 1. Windows Movie Maker
There is no doubt that many people have probably heard of Windows Movie Maker, a video editing tool developed by Microsoft. It not only allows you to watch video, but also lets you edit this video simply, for instance, add text to video.
Related article: How to Add Text to Video in Windows Movie Maker (Step-by-Step Guide).
Now, some users might want to know where to get this tool since it was officially discontinued on January 10, 2017. Fortunately, you can get this Microsoft video editing tool by clicking the following button.
- It supports playing videos as well as pictures.
- It can edit your videos simply.
- It is able to share your videos on YouTube, Facebook, etc.
Related article: How to Use Movie Maker Step-by-step Guide for Beginners.
- Microsoft does not support it now.
- It cannot play music alone.
No 2. 5KPlayer
5KPlayer is a mixture of free (MKV) HD video player and music player. This real media player is compatible with Windows as well as Mac OS X. If your VLC crashes suddenly, you can try this alternative.
- It supports a lot of video formats, including MKV, M2TS, MPEG1/2, WMV/ASF, AVI, MOV, RM, OGV, FLV, MP4, H.264, M4V, WEBM.
- It can play 4K UHD videos without any glitches.
- It is able to play 1080p or 1080i high-definition videos under 10% CPU cost.
- It can play MP3 AAC APE FLAC music perfectly to activate your senses.
- It can download online videos from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, etc.
This alternative to VLC media player for Windows might be confusing for beginners.
No 3. Windows Media Player
Windows media player is another VLC alternative. It allows you to play video and audio files. Besides, it allows previewing images on personal computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system, as well as on Pocket PC and Windows Mobile-based devices.
- It provides a less cluttered user interface.
- It offers a better music library.
- It supports network sharing.
- It can access to online music services.
- It cannot handle 4K, 3D and 360-degree video.
- It doesn’t support for VR headsets.
No 4. Photos App
If you are running Windows 10, you have another great VLC alternative 2019 – Photo app. This Windows 10 hidden media player not only can play video but also can play images. Besides, it can help to trim video.
Related Article: How to Cut Video Easily and Quickly (The Definitive Guide).
- It can play videos quickly.
- It has a simple, touch-friendly interface.
- It also supports browsing photo, and is able to create albums automatically.
- It has cool video editing effects.
- It cannot tag faces.
- It doesn’t support panorama stitching and selective focus.
No 5. KMPlayer
KM player can play video as well as audio in Windows. This alternative to VLC supports almost any format that Windows can play including AVI, ASF, WMV, AVS, FLV, MKV, and many more. With the VLC alternative, you can slow down or increase playback speed, select parts of a video as favorites.
- It supports many audio and video formats.
- It supports 3D and VR and setting related to that.
- It has extensive subtitle management.
- It can capture audio and video.
Advertisement (There are no hidden or misleading clauses while installing, but we will be asked whether we want to install Avast Antivirus after installing.)
After learning these different VLC alternatives for Windows, you can take a look of the below wonderful video tool.
No 6. MiniTool Movie Maker
MiniTool Movie Maker, free and simple video tool, lets you review videos, and pictures. Besides, it also lets you create videos and slideshow easily and quickly. For instance, I usually use this simple and free tool to create Facebook Slideshow.
- It supports a lot of video format including WMV, MP4, AVI, MOV, F4V, MKV, GIF, MP3, and so on.
- It offers wizard-like interfaces. This tool can help you create a movie without requiring professional knowledge and skill.
- It offers movie as well as trailer templates. You are able to easily create cool movies or Hollywood-style movie trailers.
- It allows you to make video with pictures easily and quickly.
- It offers some filters to help you change the color, style, or tone in minutes.
- It offers plenty of useful transition effects to make the presentation, slideshow or movie good looking and impressive.
- It not only can split large video into small parts but also can trim video to remove the unwanted frames from the start or end of a clip. More details can be found in How to Trim Video Easily (Step-by-Step Guide with Pictures).
It only supports Windows OSs, now.
Part 2. VLC Alternative Mac
Mac users can try the following alternatives when the VLC media player isn’t working.
No 1. QuickTime Player
QuickTime player, the best VLC alternative Mac, is the most familiar media players for Mac users. As the default movie player as Mac, QuickTime player is capable of supporting various formats of videos, music, images, and other media files.
- QuickTime player enables you to set playback from 1/2x to 3x the normal speed.
- This alternative to VLC is capable of watching videos from hard drive and internet.
- This VLC alternative Mac allows you to screen recording your Mac, edit movies and extract audio from a video. However, you need to purchase the QuickTime Pro license key to unlock the recording, editing and extracting features.
No 2. MPlayerX Media Player
MPlayerX, a free and open source media player, is another VLC alternative.
- It can handle any media format in the world without extra plug-ins or codec packages as it is armed by FFmpeg and MPlayer.
- It provides you the easiest way to control the playback as it will follow your gestures.
- It can automatically and seamlessly detect and convert the encoding method of the subtitle file.
No 3. Movist
Movist, a free, simple yet powerful player for Mac, supports QuickTime, FFmpeg as well as subtitles.
- It is easy to use.
- It owns a beautiful and convenient user interface.
- It is available to adjust aspect ratios and configure keyboard shortcuts.
Unfortunately, this VLC alternative Mac doesn't support Apple remote.
Part 3. VLC Alternative Linux
Let’s start with a true example from my best friend.
I've used VLC in Linux for years. But lately, it's been choking and dying for no discernible reasons and attempts to troubleshoot have failed. Are there any other comparable alternatives for media players out there at the moment?
Now, my friend can try the following VLC alternative Linux.
No 1. Bomi Player
The best VLC alternative Linux, Bomi player (known as CM Player), works well on Linux and provides GUI features.
- This easy-to-use VLC alternative Linux provides some powerful features which you will find in the context menu.
- It supports audio file and subtitle at all.
- It allows browsing your old playlist because it generally saves all your playback record.
No 2. SMPlayer
SMPlayer supports for all the default formats as like as other media players.
- This VLC alternative Linux allows you to play YouTube video directly from this player because of its built-in codec.
- This VLC alternative 2019 loads the subtitle of a movie from the internet. And, it saves your all settings when you play video.
- This alternative to VLC is fully resume supported video player.
The above video editing tools are good alternatives to VLC media player. You can choose a suitable one to play your videos.
Which VLC alternatives do you like to choose? Let us know by leaving comments.
Should you have any other good suggestions about VLC alternatives, please share them with us. Thanks in advance!
Vlc Player Software For Pc Windows
VLC Alternatives FAQ
- Media Player Classic – Home Cinema
- ACG Player
- GOM Media Player
- DivX Player
- VLC Player
- Media Player Classic – Home Cinema