Just a heads up on another Configuration Manager KB article we published today. This one involves error 0x800b0004 and System Center Updates Publisher :
The Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007 (ConfigMgr 2007) System Center Updates Publisher (SCUP) component may fail to synchronize updates. Entries similar to the following will be logged in PatchDownloader.log. Download destination = servername Source Contoso Updates4dd8265-4c25-4e7c-ba2d-2f29cbe4bd3e.1 updatename.exe.
- Updates in Microsoft System Center products. If the management console can connect to ftp.hp.com, corporate IT can download HP software updates from the ftp site directly into their System Center administration product. HP Client Updates Catalog for System Center Products Overview HP Client Updates Catalog for System Center Products.
- System Center Updates Publisher - Create a SCUP catalog. This is the second part of a two-part article on System Center Updates Publisher (SCUP) 2011. This part details how you can create a custom catalog for automating third-party product updates. Mike Taylor has been working in IT for 12 years.
- If you have System Center Configuration Manager (2007 or 2012) or even System Center Essentials, one solution to what I call third-party “churn” is another free Microsoft tool: System Center Updates Publisher 2011, or SCUP. This tool works by subscribing to partner catalogs that you publish to Configuration Manager to deploy.
The Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007 (ConfigMgr 2007) System Center Updates Publisher (SCUP) component may fail to synchronize updates. Entries similar to the following will be logged in PatchDownloader.log
Download destination = servernameSourceContoso Updates4dd8265-4c25-4e7c-ba2d-2f29cbe4bd3e.1updatename.exe . Software Updates Patch Downloader 12/2/2010 11:04:30 AM 3576 (0x0DF8)
Contentsource = ftp://ftp.contoso.com//pub/updatename.exe . Software Updates Patch Downloader 12/2/2010 11:04:30 AM 3576 (0x0DF8)
Downloading content for ContentID = 25530, FileName = updatename.exe. Software Updates Patch Downloader 12/2/2010 11:04:30 AM 3576 (0x0DF8)
Download ftp://ftp.contoso.com//pub/updatename.exe to C:UsersadministratorAppDataLocalTempCABF417.tmp returns 0 Software Updates Patch Downloader 12/2/2010 11:04:30 AM 4080 (0x0FF0)
Cert revocation check is disabled so cert revocation list will not be checked. Software Updates Patch Downloader 12/2/2010 11:04:30 AM 4080 (0x0FF0)
To enable cert revocation check use: UpdDwnldCfg.exe /checkrevocation Software Updates Patch Downloader 12/2/2010 11:04:30 AM 4080 (0x0FF0)
Authentication of file C:UsersadministratorAppDataLocalTempCABF417.tmp failed, error 0x800b0004 Software Updates Patch Downloader 12/2/2010 11:04:30 AM 4080 (0x0FF0)
This error can occur if a proxy server or other networking device returns an HTML error for the file request. SCUP attempts to read the digital signature of the temporary file and fails. This error does not occur in cases of connectivity failure.
Investigate any upstream proxies, firewall servers, or other network devices that may be returning custom error messages.
To verify that a server is in this condition, either take a network capture while the download is being performed or use these steps to manually simulate the download:
- Log on to the server with administrative credentials.
- Download psexec.exe from http://live.sysinternals.com/psexec.exe
- Launch an elevated command prompt and run the command:
psexec /s /i cmd /c start where is the FTP or HTTP URL specified in the PatchDownloader.log file
For the latest version of this article see the link below:
KB2477936 – System Center Updates Publisher downloads fail with error 0x800b0004 in System Center Configuration Manager 2007
Microsoft Support Team ConfigMgr Source
Michel PICOLLET EXAKIS Paris
Consultant Senior Microsoft [System Center]
Applies to: System Center Updates Publisher
The information in these articles can help you download, install, and set up Updates Publisher for use with your Configuration Manager environment.
Prerequisites and limitations
System Center Updates Publisher can only be used with Configuration Manager. It isn't intended for use with stand-alone WSUS hierarchies.
The following sections detail requirements to install and use Updates Publisher, and limitations or known issues for its use.
Install and run Updates Publisher on a 64-bit editions of the following operating systems. There are no minimum cumulative update or service pack requirements.
- Windows Server 2016 (Standard, Datacenter)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (Standard, Datacenter)
- Windows 11
- Windows 10 (Pro, Education, Pro Education, Enterprise)
- Windows 8.1 (Professional, Enterprise)
The following are required on the computer that runs Updates Publisher.
- 64-bit operating system: The computer where you install Updates Publisher must run a 64-bit operating system.
- WSUS 6.2 or later:
- On Windows Server, install the default Administration Console to meet this requirement.
- For Windows 8.1 or later operating systems, install the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) for Windows operating systems. This installs the necessary support to use Updates Publisher (API and PowerShell cmdlets, and User Interface Management Console).
- Installation: Local admin
- Most operations: local user
- Publishing, or operations that involve WSUS: Member of WSUS Administrators group on the WSUS Server.
Updates Publisher is available only in English but can manage updates for other languages. The language support depends on the task, such as publishing, creating, or editing updates.
When exporting or publishing updates, Updates Publisher displays the title and description of the software update based on the locale of the computer where Updates Publisher is installed.
For example, you create a software update that has an English and Spanish title.
- If you create the update on a computer whose locale is English, by default, you would see the title and description in English.
- If you then export or publish that update to a computer whose locale is Spanish, on that computer you would see the title and description in Spanish.
When you publish software updates, you can specify the language of the software update binary file. You can also specify that the binary is language neutral. The following languages are supported:
- Chinese (Hong Kong S.A.R.)
- Chinese (Traditional)
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Portuguese (Brazil)
Software update titles and descriptions
The following languages are supported for software update titles and descriptions.
- Chinese (Traditional)
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Portuguese (Brazil)
Install Updates Publisher
Get the UpdatesPubliser.msi for installing System Center Updates Publisher from https://aka.ms/SCUPDownload.
To install Updates Publisher, run UpdatesPublisher.msi on a computer that meets the prerequisites. The installer creates the following folder to contain the files necessary to run Updates Publisher: %PROGRAMFILES%MicrosoftUpdatesPublisher*.
Because this folder contains all the files necessary to use Updates Publisher, you can copy the folder and its contents to a new location or computer and then use Updates Publisher from that location. However, the new location or computer must meet the prerequisites to run Updates Publisher.
After installation completes, run UpdatesPublisher.exe from the UpdatesPublisher folder to start Updates Publisher.
Microsoft Publisher Update
After you install Updates Publisher, we recommend you configuring the options for Updates Publisher. You must configure some options before you can use some features of Updates Publisher.
Update Rollup Version 6.0.283.0 From KB4462765. Released September 7, 2018.
However, if you want to use the defaults and don't plan to deploy updates to an update server or to managed devices, you can jump right to managing software update catalogs, or create software updates and create update catalogs of your own.